Your guide to being an expatriate in Liechtenstein

Caffeinate Your Liechtenstein Expat Journey: Find Essential Info and Connect with Expatriates Today!

Liechtenstein is a German-speaking microstate, measuring only 160 square kilometers. Lying between Austria and Switzerland, it has a population of approximately 38,000. The country is known for its stunning mountain ranges, rapid economic growth, and high living standards.


Expat destinations in Liechtenstein

Demographics of Liechtenstein:

Ethnic groups

Throughout history, Germanic and Romance populations have migrated to the country, leaving Liechtenstein's population primarily Germanic. In 2010, 96% of residents identified as white, according to a survey. The remaining 4% identified as being African, Asian, Mediterranean, or a combination of these.


Liechtenstein's official language is German. As in many Germanic-speaking countries, the Standard German spoken in Liechtenstein is Hochdeutsch.

Religion Overview

Liechtenstein's population is overwhelmingly Roman Catholic. The country's 16th-century church reforms brought the Catholic faith to Liechtenstein, and it remains dominant today.

Major Religions


Liechtenstein's high altitude makes it considerably colder than many places at similar latitudes, but it still enjoys more than 2000 hours of sunshine a year. The country experiences moderate precipitation.

Economy Overview

Thanks to its favorable climate for farming, an excellent infrastructure, and low corporate tax rates, Liechtenstein's economy is one of the world's most stable and prosperous. The country is primarily agricultural, although its banking industry forms the bulk of employment and economic output.

Key Industries

  • Agriculture

Major Companies

  • LGT Bank
  • Bonus Fund Management SA (Everim)
  • AVL List Headquarters and R&D Liechtenstein

Culture and Language Overview

Liechtenstein's stunning landscapes, innovative, and healthy lifestyle make it extremely popular amongst the expat community. Its German-speaking culture is a window into Central Europe's rich tradition.

Cultural Highlights

  • Traditional folk music performances in Liechtenstein's villages
  • Learning German and discovering the country's history, customs, and cuisine
  • Exploring the Vaduz Castle, a striking 16th-century structure that houses the Prince of Liechtenstein
  • Balancing relaxation and adventure through readily available hiking trails and skiable mountains

Geography and Landmarks Overview

Various Swiss and Austrian peaks overlook Liechtenstein's territory along with diverse valleys river network, making the country a geologically admirable region. Its landscape is as varied as its geography - breathtakingly beautiful in winter, and full of flowers and herbage in spring and summer.

Notable Landmarks

  • Schwarzwandspitze Mountain (2,742 meters)
  • Weißenstein Cross (Vaduz City)
  • Grafenberg Palace (Vaduz)
  • St. Stephan Cathedral (Schaan)
  • Steg castle ruins near Sevelen

National Holidays

  • New Year's Day (January 1)
  • Christmas Day (December 25)
  • Boxing Day (December 26)
  • Epiphany (January 6)
  • Verklarung Fest (April 23)
  • National Holiday (August 15)
  • All Saints' Day (November 1)
  • Remembrance Day (November 6)
  • Repentance Day (November 22)

Political Stability

Liechtenstein's political system is democratic, yet it is technically a hereditary principality. Liechtenstein's population enjoys high levels of safety, civil liberties, and freedom of expression. Its legislation is convincingly innovative and helps in solution-oriented policies.

Find out more about expats in Europe

Latest articles for expats living in Liechtenstein