Your guide to being an expatriate in Lithuania

Caffeinate Your Lithuania Expat Journey: Find Essential Info and Connect with Expatriates Today!

Lithuania is a member state of the European Union and the Baltic states located in Eastern Europe. It is nestled between Latvia, Poland, and Russia, and its capital city is Vilnius. The country enjoys a stable political and economic climate, and its location offers easy access to the Baltic Sea and Russia through important transport routes.


Expat destinations in Lithuania

Demographics of Lithuania:

Ethnic groups

Ethnic Lithuanians makeup over 85% of the population. The remaining 15% includes Poles, Russians, Belarusians, and Ukrainians.


Lithuanian is the official language spoken by over 85% of the population. Russian and Polish are also commonly spoken in certain areas.

Religion Overview

The majority of Lithuanians practice Roman Catholicism which is celebrated publicly during various religious holidays, such as Christmas, Easter, and Corpus Christi.

Major Religions


Lithuania has a moderate climate characterized by cool summers and long, cold winters. The northern and western regions are more influenced by the oceanic climate, while the southeastern region is influenced by a continental climate.

Economy Overview

Lithuania is known for its steadily growing economy which is ranked highly in Eastern Europe. Its key industries include logistics, technology, and agriculture. The country's diversified economy and strategic location make it an appealing place for foreign investment.

Key Industries

  • Logistics and transportation
  • Technology and IT
  • Agriculture
  • Energy
  • Manufacturing

Major Companies

  • Maxima Grupe
  • Baltic Train Services
  • Vinci Energies
  • Litex Telecommunications
  • Lithuanian Railways

Culture and Language Overview

Lithuanian culture is significantly influenced by its history and geography. The country has a rich tradition of folk music, dance, and cuisine. Lithuanians are also known for their love of sports, particularly basketball and football.

Cultural Highlights

  • Lithuanian National Opera and Ballet Theatre
  • Vilnius Festival of Chamber Music

Geography and Landmarks Overview

Lithuania's landscape is dominated by rolling hills, forests, and lakes. Its most famous landmark is the Old Town of Vilnius, which is inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Notable Landmarks

  • Wilejsz Palace
  • Gediminas Tower
  • Cathedral Square
  • Church of St. Anne
  • Gates of Dawn

National Holidays

  • Independence Day (February 16)
  • Restoration of Independence Day (August 23)
  • Corpus Christi (one of the oldest and largest celebrations in Lithuania)
  • Christmas Eve and Day
  • New Year's Eve and Day

Political Stability

Lithuania is considered a politically stable country, with a parliamentary republic system of government. The country consistently ranks high in global indices measuring corruption, democracy, and freedom of the press.

Find out more about expats in Europe

Latest articles for expats living in Lithuania